If you haven’t then here is my list of things that I need to remember when setting up a new Posterous …
- Decide if you would like http://yourname.posterous.com or a custom domain name http://yourname.com and set-up the A record.
- Add your selected domain name into Google webmaster tools.
- Grab the webmaster tools verification meta data and add it to the head of your Posterous theme.
eg <meta name=”google-site-verification” content=”***********************” />
- Grab your Posterous rss feed url and submit it as a site map in webmaster tools
- Burn your feed with Google Feedburner and enter the new url into Posterous settings.
- Create the code for a headline animator in Feedburner (just for fun 😉
- Setup Google Analytics and enter the ID into the Posterous settings.
- Use the email address: email@example.com and this will not autopost to any of your other sites.
- Use the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to create hidden posts to review later.
- Check out all the email configurations and save them as contacts.
- Use #end to finish an email post and avoid posting any signature.
- Add tags to the subject of the email.
eg ((tag: iPhone, Photo))
- Consider using Gmail to write posts and attach files … utilise the autosave function.
- Subscribe to your own Posterous to get a daily digest of your own posts for archiving locally.
- Setup your autopost functions to act as a site backup.
eg http://richardmackney.blogspot.com is a locked archive of all my posts.
- Think about using a site scraping/downloading utility such as http://www.httrack.com as a static backup.